X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Steve Ballmer to retire in next 12 months`

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to retire within 12 months

Originally posted by Microsoft
    REDMOND, Wash. — Aug. 23, 2013 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer has decided to retire as CEO within the next 12 months, upon the completion of a process to choose his successor. In the meantime, Ballmer will continue as CEO and will lead Microsoft through the next steps of its transformation to a devices and services company that empowers people for the activities they value most.

“There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time,” Ballmer said. “We have embarked on a new strategy with a new organization and we have an amazing Senior Leadership Team. My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our company’s transformation to a devices and services company. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction.”

The Board of Directors has appointed a special committee to direct the process. This committee is chaired by John Thompson, the board’s lead independent director, and includes Chairman of the Board Bill Gates, Chairman of the Audit Committee Chuck Noski and Chairman of the Compensation Committee Steve Luczo. The special committee is working with Heidrick & Struggles International Inc., a leading executive recruiting firm, and will consider both external and internal candidates.

“The board is committed to the effective transformation of Microsoft to a successful devices and services company,” Thompson said. “As this work continues, we are focused on selecting a new CEO to work with the company’s senior leadership team to chart the company’s course and execute on it in a highly competitive industry.”

“As a member of the succession planning committee, I’ll work closely with the other members of the board to identify a great new CEO,” said Gates. “We’re fortunate to have Steve in his role until the new CEO assumes these duties.”

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
    About damn time.

Xbox One, Surface, Windows Phone, Zune, Windows 8, Office 365... it's like the cavalcade of fail for Microsoft products lately.

Icemage

Re: Microsoft Steve Ballmer to retire in next 12 months`

Wonder if this is in any way related to the XB1 policy changes (i.e., investors didn't like what was happening and told him to shape up or gtfo)

Well, good thing they're cleaning house. First Don Matrick and now this clown - there may be hope yet.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

If this means Windows 9 ends up with a not-retarded interface then I am all for it.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
        Wonder if this is in any way related to the XB1 policy changes (i.e., investors didn't like what was happening and told him to shape up or gtfo)
        It might be the straw that broke the camel's back, but it's not the only reason.

Oh, and let's not forget how much money Microsoft has sunk into Bing in their desperate (and consistently failing) attempt to unseat Google.

Skype and Azure are the only sane divisions of Microsoft right now.

Well, good thing they're cleaning house. First Don Matrick and now this clown - there may be hope yet.
        I wouldn't necessarily call this good news.

For all we know, a new CEO will completely axe the Xbox initiative. I may not like Microsoft as a company, but having them there to keep Sony and Nintendo on their toes and force them to innovate in the online space is a good thing.

Granted, if the rumors pan out about Amazon entering the console space soon, then I would shed zero tears if Microsoft exited the industry.

Icemage

Comment

I'm baffled as to why everyone underestimates Valve's intent to make a living room PC/console, but are willing to give Google more than a benefit of a doubt sight unseen in the console space.

Plus I think it was more of like an Ouya kinda thing than a horse in the next-gen console race.

Comment

I'm reasonably certain the Valve box is a myth that the internet invented in order to validate its fetishistic obsession with Gabe Newell.

Comment

Well it DID get us to forget about Half Life 3.

Wait...

Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
              Reiko Takahashi
              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                I'm baffled as to why everyone underestimates Valve's intent to make a living room PC/console, but are willing to give Google more than a benefit of a doubt sight unseen in the console space.
                The Steambox is an interesting concept on paper that fails in practice because it becomes just another PC. If all they're selling is a modular PC, people can already buy those. Steam already works on every PC out there, so you don't "need" Valve's hardware... so why would you buy one? I think people would arrive with pitchforks and torches on Gaben's doorstep if Valve ends up releasing a true Steambox exclusive game that wasn't released on the general Steam storefront.

Amazon, on the other hand, is apparently actively recruiting developers for some secret platform. They have an established hardware production chain in their Kindle Fire tablet line. They probably know as much or more about launching products than Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo combined.

As such, I think Amazon is a much, much more credible threat to the next generation consoles than Valve is.

Plus I think it was more of like an Ouya kinda thing than a horse in the next-gen console race.
                I'm pretty sure the guys at Amazon are smarter than this. Ouya's problems are legion, but launching an underpowered home console into the market space when there are games like Forza 5 and Killzone: Shadow Fall to underscore how underpowered your hardware is does them no favors.

The big players already have a good idea what will work and what won't. Ouya is a train wreck of epic proportions. Nvidia Shield didn't fare any better.

Without convenience and compelling exclusive software support, any new platform is going to struggle, even with an attractive price point (see: Ouya).

Icemage

Comment

Without convenience and compelling exclusive software support, any new platform is going to struggle, even with an attractive price point
                  And gaming consoles are little other than glorified gaming PCs that are actually LESS convenient than PCs. PS4 and XB1 don't have compelling exclusives at all - they have the same exact games we can play this fall on PS3 and 360. What's hilarious is Wii U is going to have more retail exclusives this fall than either of them.

But remember how PS3 was slow to start this gen? It wasn't just about the initial price or its anemic first year, but also because the PS2 was still going strong. Wii U has struggled because Wii still sells and both hae good price points - its just Wii is so established. With 360 and PS3 already getting what PS4 and XB1 will also be getting, there's really not much incentive to make the jump even for early adoptors - and much like the PS2 was to the PS3, those systems still going strong is going to be a HELL of a drag on the new platforms.

They're going to need a lot more than ports that are slightly more optimized for new hardware. Joe Consumer's not going to give a damn about upgrading to a PS4 or XB1 version of Call of Duty Ghosts or Assassin's Creed IV when they can get it on what they have. That was kind of the Wii U launch problem - not enough exclusives, just what everyone else already had only this time its coming out for a platform you already have at the same time. That and XB1 and PS4 maintains the low standard of "convenience" this generation set forth.

So again, I don't see why people are giving Sony and MS the benefit of a doubt and playing Doubting Thomas with a potential Steam Box. Steam is actually more convenient. So is GoG.
                  Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 08-24-2013, 04:55 AM.

Comment

And gaming consoles are little other than glorified gaming PCs that are actually LESS convenient than PCs.
                    What?

PC games already set the knowledge bar high with knowing what to purchase in terms of hardware for the end user, and for a developer there are no guarantees of what sort of hardware may be running your game. A game that might run on one laptop won't run on another, and something that works on Nvidia card X crashes AMD card Y or vice versa.

Consoles offer reliable consistency in software performance. You buy the game, the developer knows exactly what's under the hood, and caters to it. Steambox completely loses sight of this advantage.

PS4 and XB1 don't have compelling exclusives at all - they have the same exact games we can play this fall on PS3 and 360. What's hilarious is Wii U is going to have more retail exclusives this fall than either of them.
                    Oh come on, we've been over this so many times, BBQ. I'm tired of trying to get the concept of "your opinion on games does not reflect the opinion of everyone" through your thick skull.

When will you understand the concept of games that aren't exclusive to a single platform but do not appear on others? If you want to play Madden 25, you can't play it on PC, and you can't play it on Wii U. Does that make it an exclusive? No. Does that make it a compelling title for people that buy and play Madden? You bet it is. Outside of the true exclusive first/second party titles, there are a fair number of these games as well, and collectively they represent a significant block of games that you can't get on PC (or would rather not because the PC versions are terrible/crippled).

But remember how PS3 was slow to start this gen? It wasn't just about the initial price or its anemic first year, but also because the PS2 was still going strong.
                    Uh, no, I'm pretty sure the PS3 sold like crap because it was outrageously expensive and had little compelling software to justify the price. PS2 was doing its own thing, but it almost existed in a different market because of the vastly different price points on both hardware and software. Most people who were generally happy with PS2 didn't have a whole lot of reasons to upgrade to a more expensive ecosystem; it wasn't because the PS2 was getting the lion's share of great games.

The ONLY title that should have really shown up on PS3 instead of PS2 was God of War II.

Wii U has struggled because Wii still sells and both hae good price points - its just Wii is so established.
                    Complete and unadulterated bullshit?

Wii U struggles because it is overpriced compared to the competition (PS3 and 360 for now), it offers very little in terms of exclusive or semi-exclusive content, it has a gimmick that not many care about.

It's not because "the Wii is so established". Earth to BBQ: No one cares about the Wii any more. Not many people will buy a Wii today. Not many buy software for the Wii. If you think otherwise, you haven't looked at sales data in at least 2 years, because the Wii hype train left the station ages ago.

If the Wii were still so established, it would still be outselling the PS3 and 360, but that hasn't been true for years in any region.

With 360 and PS3 already getting what PS4 and XB1 will also be getting, there's really not much incentive to make the jump even for early adoptors - and much like the PS2 was to the PS3, those systems still going strong is going to be a HELL of a drag on the new platforms.
                    That much is true; particularly for games that aren't technically demanding (hi2u Call of Duty: Ghosts).

However, you're insane if you think the initial shipments of one or both next generation consoles won't sell out this year. There are way more early adopters than you think, and the launch supplies are - as with any launch - going to be very limited compared to that demand.

They're going to need a lot more than ports that are slightly more optimized for new hardware. Joe Consumer's not going to give a damn about upgrading to a PS4 or XB1 version of Call of Duty Ghosts or Assassin's Creed IV when they can get it on what they have. That was kind of the Wii U launch problem - not enough exclusives, just what everyone else already had only this time its coming out for a platform you already have at the same time. That and XB1 and PS4 maintains the low standard of "convenience" this generation set forth.
                    Again with the false equivalence? Why do you keep doing this, BBQ? Nintendo is not your favorite uncle. You don't need to defend them to the death any time anyone suggests they might not be making the smartest of moves.

The problem with Wii U ports is that the quality of the ports isn't really much better than the PS3/360 versions that have been out for a while. So there are really three issues. First, they're not noticeably better than the versions found elsewhere. Second, they're more expensive than the older PS3/360 versions. Third, the games are old and a lot of people who would have bought it already own one of those other systems and/or a PC and have played them already.

This is a different animal from the PS3/360/PC/Xbox One/PS4 cross-gen games like Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV, Battlefield 4, etc. First, the next-gen versions are launching more or less alongside their past-gen counterparts. Second, the next-gen versions will mostly have better features that can be immediately be appreciated (more complex environments, larger number of players in multiplayer, better graphics, better online features, faster startup/load times, etc.). Lastly, they'll have the same price tag as the other versions, so if you're getting one of the new boxes, why not get the better version? That doesn't mean the next generation versions will be compelling enough to draw people away from the current generation versions, but it is not the same situation as the various Wii U late ports.

So again, I don't see why people are giving Sony and MS the benefit of a doubt and playing Doubting Thomas with a potential Steam Box. Steam is actually more convenient. So is GoG.
                    Nope.

Steam is great, but the Steambox will never be a good console. It might well be a good gaming PC, but that remains to be seen.

Icemage
                    Last edited by Icemage; 08-24-2013, 08:08 AM.

Comment

And gaming consoles are little other than glorified gaming PCs that are actually LESS convenient than PCs.
                      I actually agree with BBQ on this point. There's a lot less bullshit standing between me and launching a game on my PC than there is on the last two generations of consoles.

Comment

If Steam decides to enter the console market, which I doubt they would, their library of games is instantly rendered worthless and insignificant due to platform and cross-licensing issues. For example, a Sega game for the PC was made available due to special licensing arrangements with a 3rd party. However, in the realm of console sales, Sega wouldn't want that 3rd party to indirectly compete against themselves with the same title. And this is just one of the myriads of legal, financial, technical and practical issues preventing a guaranteed success for Steam.

- - - Updated - - -

They didn't retain him because he was a d-bag.

Microsoft needs a new CEO who probably doesn’t exist | Ars Technica

Anyone who describes outgoing Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's tenure as a "failure" is wrong. An annualized growth rate of 16 percent in a large, established company, selling into mature markets, is nothing to scoff at. Revenue tripled under his leadership; profits doubled. That's some failure.

It's also not the case that Ballmer was simply riding high on the Windows and Office monopolies he inherited. They played a part, certainly, but they're not the whole story. During Ballmer's time as CEO, Microsoft Dynamics (its suite of CRM and ERP software) went from non-existent to a billion-dollar-a-year business. So too did SharePoint. So did Xbox. So did the System Center suite. So did Lync (formerly Office Communicator). So did Office 365. So did the Windows Azure cloud platform.
                        - - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                        <snip>it offers very little in terms of exclusive or semi-exclusive content</snip>
                        By the numbers: Next-generation console software showdown | Ars Technica

Neither does the PS4 and XB1 .... look at the % of true exclusives (the other "exclusives" mentioned are in terms of the platform when compared with the PC, but still relevant for this discussion)

Comment

It depends on the game, actually.

For instance with Battlefield 4, there's all the reason in the world to go with the next-gen versions - PS3/360 will still be limited to 24 players (vs 64) and won't feature Levolution/Frostbite 3, which are a huge part of BF4's attraction.

I haven't yet heard of the specifics for other titles that are cross-gen (I'm making that a word now) but I'm sure there's bound to be plenty of incentive to upgrade.
                          sigpic

Comment

It depends on the game, actually.

For instance with Battlefield 4, there's all the reason in the world to go with the next-gen versions - PS3/360 will still be limited to 24 players (vs 64) and won't feature Levolution/Frostbite 3, which are a huge part of BF4's attraction.

I haven't yet heard of the specifics for other titles that are cross-gen (I'm making that a word now) but I'm sure there's bound to be plenty of incentive to upgrade.
                            Only if you like playing that game. And that audience number is determined by the sales. In other words, not a majority of the player base on either consoles. The incentives need to be more compelling than that (and honestly, when was the last time you could scrape together 63 other players?)

Comment

Uh, BF3 was loaded to the brim on PC constantly, and even on consoles there were quite a few servers I'd join and it'd say like 20+ people in line.

My point is just that there's bound to be plenty of reasons to get the new systems. One nice thing EA is doing actually, is if you buy BF4 (and a few of their other new titles) for PS3, they are giving you (I think it's a limited time thing) the option to buy the digitial PS4 versions at a heavy discount, as well as transfer your stats.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X